Capital Environment Services, a licensed Asbestos Removalist (WorkSafe Class B Licence: number AA16080106) will be undertaking removal work of some Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs) from Aotea College, Okowai Road, Porirua - sub soil storm water pipes.
This removal work will be conducted between the hours of 07.00 AM to 6.00 PM commencing Tuesday 20th June 2017, and is expected to finish on 5th July 2017. This work may need to be re-scheduled in the event of bad weather.
WorkSafe NZ was notified on 15th June 2017 that this licensed asbestos removal work is to be undertaken.
Aotea College management and board of trustees have been consulted about the nature and timing of this work, together with the safety measures to be used.
The following safety measures will be put in place and maintained for the duration of this project:
- Signs, barriers and/or temporary fencing will be installed.
- PVA solution or water will be applied to asbestos containing materials to prevent airborne asbestos fibres dust (as required).
- Asbestos containing materials will not be broken, where possible.
- Plastic will be used to cover horizontal surfaces and surrounds.
- Asbestos containing material will be wrapped on site and disposed of at an approved tip site
- Air monitoring at the work site boundary will be place for the duration of the work. If asbestos fibres above the allowable safe limit are detected, work will cease immediately and corrective measures applied
- An independent party will carry out an inspection of the site on completion of the work, and issue a clearance certificate.
The Ministry of Education website has further information about the management of asbestos and procedures to ensure the safety of all involved in or affected by the work, at the school and community. This can be found on: www.education.govt.nz/school/property/state-schools/fixing-issues/asbestos/
Additional information about asbestos removal and/or Asbestos Removal Licences can be found on WorkSafe NZ’s website http://www.business.govt.nz/worksafe or by phoning 0800 030 040 (24 hours).
If you have any questions or concerns about this removal work, please feel to contact either Mathew Hemingway, Capital Environment Services on Ph 027 566 3000, or Stuart Lyons, Project Manager, The Building Intelligence Group, Ph 021 721 082